- SALARY $99,952.64 – $148,379.94 Annually
- LOCATION Goodyear, AZ
- JOB TYPE Full-Time Regular
- JOB NUMBER FY2300351
- DIVISION ENG -Engineering
- DEPARTMENT Engineering
- OPENING DATE 04/27/2023
Job Description Summary
The Assistant City Traffic Engineer plans and performs difficult and advanced traffic engineering work. Work is characterized by the requirement for performance of very difficult and exacting assignments. Work involves the application of professional traffic engineering knowledge and skills to a variety of engineering functions.
The ideal candidate for this position will be registered as a Professional Civil Engineer (PE) in the State of Arizona or able to obtain within 6 months, and have three or more years of experience in a government agency working with professional and paraprofessional staff, in the area(s) traffic operations and traffic engineering. In addition, they should have at least three years of experience in supervising the work of traffic maintenance staff. The ideal candidate will work with great independence with a need of minimal supervision, and will also be a self motivated problem solver; possess excellent interpersonal/human relations skills; and demonstrate passionate support of City of Goodyear Core Values, leadership, comprehension, communication, and skills of tact and diplomacy.
At the City of Goodyear, you will be a part of an organization that values its employees as its greatest asset. You will become part of a dedicated team of professionals that are committed to build and maintain a highly engaged workforce. You will be challenged to learn and grow in an environment that values employee development and career-building. You will thrive in a culture of innovation. We believe that successful employees are those that possess six core values: Adaptability – Integrity – Initiative – Empathy – Optimism – Innovation
If these six core values rank high on your list of personal attributes and you want to be a contributing member of Goodyear, then don’t wait — APPLY TODAY!
Only a limited number of the most highly qualified applicants meeting the City’s requirements will be invited for an interview. Examination process for this position will include:Panel Interview
This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The following functions do not identify all duties performed by the incumbent. Other duties and responsibilities will be performed as assigned.
- Supervises Traffic Operations Division and administers division budget by projecting annual operating costs, preparing budget requests, reviewing and approving purchases, overseeing major equipment purchases, and monitoring division expenditures. Pursues additional funding through grant opportunities.
- Reviews surveys of difficult traffic conditions and problems; tabulates and analyzes data; and inspects construction work.
- Communicates with the general public, other City employees, consultants, vendors, contractors, and public officials in order to coordinate projects and represent the City in transportation related matters and to answer complaints.
- Prepares Council reports, ordinances, memos and studies. Prepares various forms, reports, correspondence, budget documents, traffic studies, traffic impact analyses, work orders, engineering review comments, maps or other documents.
- Supports the City Traffic Engineer by managing traffic design and construction projects and representing the City of regional transportation projects.
- Completes traffic engineering analysis and design assignments.
- Formal Education/Knowledge: Work requires specialized knowledge in a professional or technical field. Work requires professional level of knowledge of a discipline equivalent to that which is acquired in certification as a Professional Engineer.
- Experience: Minimum five years of experience in a related field.
- Certifications and Other Requirements: Valid Driver’s License. Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in Arizona (Civil) is preferred.
- Reading: Must be able to utilize a wide variety of reference materials, design data, and professional literature. Must be able to interpret roadway plan & profile sheets, roadway cross sections, roadway signing & striping plans, and traffic control plans.
- Math: Work requires the ability to perform general math calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, calculate decimals and percentages; perform mathematical operations involving basic algebraic and geometric principles and formulas.
- Writing: Work requires the ability to write traffic studies, traffic development plan reviews, computer-aided design, budget documents, update traffic ordinances, Council reports and memorandum.
- Managerial: Complex – Work requires managing and monitoring work performance of a division including evaluating program/work objectives and effectiveness, establishing broad organizational goals and realigning work and staffing assignments for the department.
- Budget Responsibility: Substantial – Oversees budget preparation of a program budget. Reviews and approves expenditures of significant budgeted funds for the department or does research and prepares recommendations for city-wide budget expenditures.
- Policy/Decision Making: Significant – The employee normally performs the job by following established standard operating procedures and/or policies. There is a choice of the appropriate procedure or policy to apply to duties. More complex work as well as decisions with more significant impacts are typically reviewed prior to being finalized
- Technical Skills: Broad Application – Work requires advanced skills and knowledge in approaches and systems, which affect the design and implementation of major programs, solutions for highly complex issues, and/or processes organization-wide. Independent judgment and decision-making abilities are necessary to apply technical skills effectively.
- Interpersonal/Human Relations Skills: High – Interactions at this level typically result in recommendations regarding policy development, changes in policy, and implementation of policies. Interactions at this level are typically concerned with providing communications at higher levels of organizational operations and may utilize activities such as evaluating customer satisfaction, developing cooperative associations, and allocating resources to improve work operations, work quality, overall achievement of organizational goals and objectives, and customer satisfaction.
12 Month Objectives
Within 3 months:
- Become familiar with the city, and department policies and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Conduct ride-a-longs with transportation staff to become familiar with each area.
- Attend department and city meetings with the City Traffic Engineer to become familiar with the department’s projects and priorities.
- Become familiar with the Pavement Marking and Signing division budget.
- Represent the City on the Maricopa Association of Governments Transportation Safety Committee.
- Become City’s primary point of contact for pavement marking and signing maintenance.
- Gain an understanding of traffic performance measures.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Plan Review Manager, Civil Engineers, Plan Reviewers, and Transportation Staff.
- Participate in regular safety meetings with Traffic Signal & Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) staff.
- Perform traffic engineering plan review using ProjectDox.
Within 12 months:
- Become familiar with Lucity work order and asset management software.
- Evaluate team performance measures quarterly, and identify opportunities to improve performance.
- Work with staff to apply continuous improvement fundamentals to improve operations.
- Work with staff to understand Pavement Marking and Signing division needs.
- Become familiar with the City’s Procurement Code apply these rules to routine purchases for Pavement Marking and Signing.
- Gain a clear understanding of each of the City’s Core Values along with the expected behaviors associated with each and ensure that you, along with the team are modeling those behaviors.
|Job Category||Engineering, Traffic Systems|