($46,930.64 – $66,081.60 Annually)
Under general supervision, an Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Technician I performs skilled work in the installation, maintenance, operation, and repair of electrical and electronic traffic signal control devices, various communication devices, and the ITS components.
An employee in this class is expected to install, maintain, monitor, troubleshoot, and repair current and future ITS infrastructures and interfaces such as:
- Various traffic signal cabinet systems
- Vehicle detection systems
- Traffic control devices
- Dynamic message signs
- Communication systems
- Perform preventive maintenance on ITS equipment such as control cabinets, video cameras and subsystems, interconnect, and electrical wiring
Work includes troubleshooting malfunctions and responding to trouble calls. The incumbent performs construction of traffic signals and inspects the work of contractors to verify their work meets City of Mesa and other standards. The incumbent uses a personal computer (PC) for recordkeeping and diagnostic troubleshooting of signal operations. Guidance is received by the ITS Technician II. Supervision is received from the ITS Operations Foreman who reviews work through observation, conferences, reports, and results achieved. The incumbent will be required to work irregular shifts, weekends, evenings, and holidays. Work is subject to call-out during off-duty hours.
This class is FLSA nonexempt.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Graduation from high school or GED
- Any combination of training, education, and experience equivalent to 2 – 3 years’ traffic signal maintenance/construction experience, or graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate’s degree in Applied Science in Electronics Engineering Technology and at least one year of traffic signal maintenance/construction experience
- Must possess a valid Arizona Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) by hire date
- CLP holders must successfully complete the City’s Entry Level Driver (ELD) training program, the Third-Party Examiner (TPE) administered skills (driving) test and obtain a valid Arizona Class B CDL within 150 days of hire or promotion date
- An International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) Level I Traffic Signal Technician Certification is required
- Must possess an IMSA Level II Traffic Signal Technician Certification (Electronic or Electrical), an IMSA Traffic Signal Inspector Certification, and a Temporary Traffic Control Certification by American Traffic Safety Services Association or the International Municipal Signal Association within one year after date of employment
- Must live within a 20-mile radius of the intersection of Main Street and Greenfield Road within one year after date of employment and must maintain this residency status throughout the duration in the position
Substance Abuse Testing:
- This class is subject to Department of Transportation (DOT) Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) drug and alcohol testing as outlined in 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 382
- Experience in maintaining microprocessor-based instruments, National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) and Advanced Traffic Control (ATC) controllers, basic knowledge of PC operations, optical pre-empt devices, and communications equipment is preferred
Applications available 11/06/20 and must apply by 11/26/20. For complete job description, requirements, and online application form, please visit our web site at: Click Here
|Job Category||Electrician, Engineering, Traffic Signal, Work Zone|