Federal Highway Administration (FWA)
The Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) Office of Operations is excited to announce that we are seeking to fill a Transportation Specialist position (GS-2101-13/14) to serve as a MUTCD Transportation Specialist. Additional details below:
- Position Location: Washington, D.C., FHWA Headquarters. This position is not eligible for alternate duty location or remote work. It is eligible for regularly scheduled telework.
- Grade/Series: Transportation Specialist (GS-13/14)
- Open to: US Citizens
- Application Deadline: May 8, 2023
This position presents a unique opportunity to join the and MUTCD Team and be responsible for initiating, developing, issuing, interpreting, and managing regulations, standards, policies, and guidelines for traffic control devices as well as their application on all roads open to public travel. The employee also initiates, develops, interprets, and applies legislative requirements and FHWA directives for the administration and support of traffic control devices.
The ideal candidate for this position is a mid-career professional with experience related to the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways (MUTCD) and/or traffic engineering programs.
As a MUTCD Transportation Specialist, you will:
- Provide authoritative technical advice, assistance, and leadership to FHWA personnel and FHWA’s external partners in the area of traffic control devices and their applications, the evaluation of projects and design concepts, highway safety improvement programs, interpretation of federal laws and regulations related to the safety and operations program, capacity analyses, railroad-highway crossings, safety and operation countermeasures to problems, performance management systems, safe accommodation of pedestrians and bicyclists, and sign, signal, and marking issues (MUTCD).
- Provide technical advice and assistance on traffic control devices and related standards; maintain a current knowledge and reference on approved products, technologies, and practices; and bring this knowledge to FHWA and its partners through training and technical assistance activities.
- Launch initiatives to evaluate the performance of traffic control devices and support process, program, and project reviews to enhance the overall transportation program. In all of these areas, provide authoritative interpretations of extremely complex data, policy, legislation, regulations, procedures, requirements, technological advancements and/or approaches, as well as lend assistance in the most complex/unusual and/or unique issues/situations and/or problems which develop and have been resistant to resolution through normal approaches.
- Foster new partnerships, marketing approaches, and partner interaction and support and provide responses on inquiries regarding the MUTCD orally and in writing.
- Provide extensive coordination, liaison, negotiation, and consultation for highway safety and traffic operations to officials within a broad range of governmental agencies at the local, State, regional, and national levels; officials of non-profit organizations, professional associations, and public interest groups; representatives of educational institutions, private industry, etc., and the general public.
This position will be filled at either the GS-13 level (with promotion potential to a GS-14) or the GS-14 level. This position is telework-eligible, consistent with the Office of Operations telework policy. FHWA-allowed flexible work schedules are permitted. Travel will be required for this position. The position may require management of contracts and a COR Level II certification, which can be obtained after starting the position.
Interested? Here’s How to Apply!
We are using the Direct Hire authority to fill this vacancy and we will be looking at applications and resumes for this position submitted by May 8, 2023. To apply, prepare a resume describing your work experience applicable to this position’s primary duties and responsibilities, then either:
- Send your resume directly to Kevin.Sylvester@dot.gov by May 8, 2023, with the subject line “Application: MUTCD Transportation Specialist”.
- Complete an application at USA Jobs under the general Transportation Specialist announcement FHWA.BIL-2023-0018 – Transportation Spec GS-2101-11-14 https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/707419300. If applying through USA Jobs, please also send an e-mail to Kevin Sylvester with the subject line mentioned above indicating your interest in being considered. Be sure to select Washington, DC for the location.
Your resume must contain sufficiently detailed information for us to make a qualification determination. Ensure that your resume contains specific information such as position titles, beginning and ending dates of employment for each position, average number of hours worked per week, and if the position is/was in the Federal government, you should provide the position series and grade level.
If you are a federal applicant, you must include SF-50(s) that verify your highest competitive grade, full performance level, and eligibility as a federal applicant.
- Do not submit an award SF-50 as these do not verify grade or eligibility.
- For consideration for a promotion, Box 4 of the SF-50 must show a date that is at least 52 weeks before May 8, 2023. We recommend submitting your last promotion SF-50 or within-grade increase SF-50.
For USAJOBS application questions or issues when applying, please email the USAJOBS experts (during business hours, M-F) at TRANSJOBS@dot.gov. For other questions about this position, please contact Kevin Sylvester, MUTCD Team Leader.
|Job Category||Management, Transportation|