Under general supervision of the Traffic Signal & ITS Manager, monitor and operate the traffic control center, maintain wireless communications and video surveillance at all traffic signal cabinets and provide traffic engineering support as required. Responds to citizen calls regarding traffic related items.
Essential Job Functions & Other Important Duties
Essential Job Functions:
• Monitors and operates the traffic control center located at the Emergency Operation Center (EOC) within Central Fire Station.
• Interfaces with traffic signal technicians to maintain the traffic signal system including wireless data and video communications from the traffic signal cabinets.
• Provides support as needed during emergency management incidents when the EOC is operational.
• Conducts weekly signal system checks.
• Maintains current signal timing data for traffic signals using ATMS.now
• Maintains current field inventory database for traffic signal system equipment
• Updates traffic count database with counts from the traffic control system.
• Assists with the organization of daily engineering assignments and duties for Traffic Engineers and Traffic Signal Technicians.
• May serve as a lead to signal technician staff, which includes: prioritizing and monitoring work to address maintenance issues; providing direction and/or answering questions as needed; and assisting with new signal turn-ons, traffic signal upgrades, and traffic switches.
• Assists fire department and engineering with tours at the EOC.
• Installs and maintains traffic signal system equipment inside and outside. These activities will require work up to 40 feet from the ground, work on roof tops, and work in and adjacent to arterial roadways.
• Collects field data (photos, measurements, sketches, traffic counts) used to create maps, engineering plans, work orders, presentation materials and graphics.
• Assists in obtaining, processing, and analyzing traffic signal system performance measurement data.
• Maintains, updates, and retrieves information from engineering department databases.
• Responds to requests for assistance and information from walk-in and telephone inquiries.
Other Important Duties:
• Some extended shifts/hours are required.
• May be required to work weekends or after hours to support traffic management and operations for special events.
• Works with the City’s Information Technology (IT) department to maintain server and network support for the traffic control system.
• Coordinates with outside firms to climb maintain radio equipment located on City water towers.
• Coordinates work flow of development projects with other City departments.
• Travels to construction sites, meetings, conferences and training.
• Performs other related duties as assigned
• Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work hours is essential.
• Must work on-call and overtime as required.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Knowledge of traffic engineering and construction inspection techniques and procedures.
• Knowledge of database software.
• Knowledge of traffic signal operations.
• Knowledge of basic electronic principles.
• Knowledge of basic networking principles.
• Knowledge of radio based and fiber optic communication systems.
• Knowledge of traffic monitoring cameras and video management systems.
• Skill in troubleshooting and resolving problems related to traffic signals and traffic signal systems.
• Knowledge of Microsoft operating system and Microsoft Office fundamentals.
• Knowledge of customer service practices and techniques.
• Knowledge of computers and TCP/IP network fundamentals.
• Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
• Skill in effective oral and written communications.
• Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
• Skill in operating hand held tools and power tools.
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certifications:
• Associate Degree or two years of college in an engineering or science related discipline and one year of related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• IMSA Signal Technician II Certification or ability to obtain within 12 months of date of hire.
• IMSA Work Zone Safety Certification or ability to obtain within 6 months of date of hire (TEEX Work Zone Certification will be considered).
• Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, criminal background and MVR check.
• Must possess valid State of Texas Driver’s License.
Please apply directly on the City Of Frisco career site here
|Job Category||ITS, Traffic Signal|