($44,703.42 – $62,940.80 Annually)
A Streetlight Technician I is responsible for performing skilled electrical work in installing and maintaining arterial, residential, and commercial streetlights. This position is also responsible for performing other duties as required, which include using a computer to update the maintenance management system as repair work is performed and completed. Initiative and independent judgment are sometimes required in the troubleshooting and repair work. Some pole installation and replacement work is physically strenuous, and the incumbent must be physically fit for bending, stooping, stretching, lifting, and carrying heavy equipment and materials. Incumbents are rotated among three types of assignments: arterial streets, residential streets, and construction. Most of the work is done in or near traffic having inattentive drivers. Hazardous conditions also involve working on fixtures up to 600 volts and in proximity to primary (high) voltage. Incumbents are subject to rotational stand-by and 24-hour call-out for emergencies and night-time assignments. The Streetlight Technician I works under the general supervision of a Streetlight Technician II. The incumbent will be required to work irregular shifts, weekends, evenings, holidays and call-out during off-duty hours.
This class is FLSA nonexempt.
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City’s shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Any combination of training, education, or experience equivalent to graduation from high school or GED
- Considerable (3 – 5 years) work experience in electrical maintenance or construction, preferably in the installation and maintenance of high intensity discharge lighting (example: streetlights, parking lot lights, commercial and residential lighting)
- Must possess a valid Arizona Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) by hire date
- CLP holders must successfully complete the City’s Entry Level Driver (ELD) training program, the Third-Party Examiner (TPE) administered skills (driving) test, and obtain a valid Arizona Class B CDL within 150 days of hire or promotion date
- Must obtain an air brake endorsement within six months after hire date
- Must obtain an International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) Work Zone Traffic Control Certification (or approved equal) within one year after hire date
- Must live within a 20-mile radius of the intersection of Main Street and Greenfield Road within one year after employment date and must maintain this residency requirement throughout the duration in the position
Substance Abuse Testing:
- This class is subject to Department of Transportation (DOT) Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) drug and alcohol testing as outlined in 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 382
- Computer knowledge including Word, Outlook, and Excel is desirable
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applications available 11/20/20, first review of candidates will be 12/07/20.
To Apply: Click Here
City of Mesa is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
|Job Category||Electrician, Traffic Signal, Work Zone|