Job Number: 2021-22
Classification: Technical Specialist
Closes: Sunday, July 25, 2021 at 11:59pm
Development & Public Works- Operations Division
Non-exempt, Full Benefits
$25.23- $33.81/hour (Grade B23); $27.85-$37.32/hour (Grade B24), depending on qualifications and experience
The Traffic Maintenance Technician completes the repair and preventative maintenance of traffic signals, rectangular rapid flashing beacon pedestrian crossings, radio communication systems, copper wire communication systems, participates in the installation, repair and maintenance of traffic control devices including: signs, pavement marking, and striping. The Technician will use data base analysis and infrastructure management systems to effectively schedule and complete the tasks listed above.
Summary of Essential Duties:
- Provides electrical services for traffic signals, beacons, and communication systems
- Fabricates and erects traffic signs
- Collects and contributes detailed and accurate information about signs, signals, and pavement markings for maintenance records and analysis
- Responds to emergency calls and citizen service requests related to signs, signals, and pavement markings
- May assist other Maintenance Division crews in various projects, as necessary.
For the complete Traffic Maintenance Technician/ Technical Specialist job addendums, please click here.
Education / Experience:
Associate’s degree, military training, or a two-year technical certification in electronics, electrical systems, communications, or related field, and sufficient experience as necessitated by the competency level of the position:
- Completion of a Limited Maintenance Electrician (LME) program, or a minimum of one year enrollment in a LME program required.
- 3-5 years of traffic maintenance and control operations experience, and enrollment in the LME apprenticeship program. (Grade B23)
- 5 or more years of traffic maintenance and control operations experience, and LME licensure. (Grade B24)
- Valid Oregon Driver’s License by time of appointment
- State of Oregon Limited Maintenance Electrician License, or the ability to obtain within three years of appointment
Preferences may be given for knowledge and experience:
- Traffic signal, radio communications, and illumination systems experience is preferred
- IMSA Traffic Signal Technician 1 Certificate
- Certification as a Flagger and experience determining and deploying appropriate temporary traffic controls
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they are able to perform every task in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. The City will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.
Selection and Interview Process:
Top candidates will be invited to interview. As a part of our selection process, it will be necessary for candidates to provide the names and email addresses of up to five professional references
(including two managers) that can provide information on work performance. To avoid any delay in the process, we ask candidates to start gathering reference information now (name, email address, contact info and time period you worked together). Additional information regarding reference checking will be emailed to candidates at a later date through the SkillSurvey Pre-Hire 360 system.
The selection process will include: reference checks and criminal background check.
All testing and selection processes will be done in accordance with the Oregon Veteran’s Preference in Public Employment Law.
Please do not indicate ‘See Resume’ in the ‘Work Experience’ part of the application. The information you provide in the application ‘Work Experience’ and ‘Job Duties’ will be used to determine if you will proceed to the next phase in the selection process. Information related to education and experience must be verifiable on your application to be given credit.
NOTE: This announcement is intended as a general descriptive recruitment guide and is subject to change. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
How to Apply:
Please visit our website here to learn more about this job posting and how to apply.
|Job Category||Electrician, Signs & Pavement Markings, Traffic Signal|