CITY OF FORT WAYNE JOB POSTING
Applicants and Employees must meet duties/essential functions and minimum requirements.
|Job Vacancy:||Traffic Operations Electrician||Department:||Traffic Operations|
|Hours:||Varies||Rate of Pay:||$29.5121 per hour|
|Date Posted Up:||7/12/2021||Date Posted Down:||Until Filled|
|Time Up:||3:00 p.m.||Time Down:|
Working under the direction of the Traffic Operations Supervisor and/or the Lighting Foreman, the incumbent installs, inspects, maintains and repairs traffic signals, street lights, and electrical devices for safe and efficient traffic flow in the City of Fort Wayne. The incumbent is expected to exercise good judgment, independence, initiative, and professional expertise in conducting day-to-day operations. All work duties and activities must be performed in accordance with the City safety rules and operating regulations, policies and procedures as well as federal, state, and local regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the ability to interact with the public, City incumbents, and outside agencies with patience, tact, respect, and professionalism and the following. Other duties may be assigned.
OPERATIONS / JUDGEMENT
- Redesigns, upgrades and recycles obsolete or incorrect schematics, equipment and systems;
- Updates electrical knowledge, keeping abreast with advances in electrical equipment;
- Performs a variety of work to maintain electrical traffic, street light, and related devices such as signal installation, street lighting and maintenance, equipment installation, replacement, repair, outdoor and bench work repairs, troubleshoots, tests and spot checks, project setting preparation, etc.;
- Maintains, installs and repairs various underground and aerial equipment and components such as wiring, controls, control boxes, conduit, cable, ducts, signals, time switches, relays, signal poles, etc.;
- Performs overhead work within contact of other utilities;
- Maintains and troubleshoots electrical facilities and systems for City street lighting, traffic signals and for City’s various facilities including the Rousseau Center, Citizens Square, Animal Care and Control, City Utilities/Parking Garages, Fire Stations, Asphalt Plant, etc.;
- Installs, assembles, inspects, repairs and maintains various City electrical systems and components such as street light systems, traffic light systems, circuits, relays, switches, outlets, equipment, communications systems, panels, overhead doors, lighting fixtures, etc.;
- Wires residential and light commercial systems, making power line and circuit connections;
- Tests and performs spot checks for possible problems;
- Sets up temporary power for various community activities including Three Rivers Festival, Johnny Appleseed Festival, German Fest, downtown Christmas lighting, etc.;
- Maintains and installs electronic equipment used for the WiFi system throughout the City of Fort Wayne;
- Maintains and installs City owned fiber optic cable system.
- Assists other employees with work or training;
- Performs duties within all relevant safety procedures and operation regulations; remains on call for emergencies;
INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION
- Reports irregularities and abnormal conditions such as project problems, safety irregularities specification compliance problems, etc.
- Answers and investigates citizen questions, reports and complaints;
- Communicates effectively both orally and in writing;
- Operates machinery such as vehicles, manlifts, hi-rangers, hoist equipment, overhead lifts, digger/derricks, forklifts, etc.
- Maintains equipment and work areas in a clean, organized and working condition;
- Operates and maintains specialized equipment to locate, identify, and mark underground cable and utilities for Traffic Operations;
- Maintains and repairs special devices and controls.
Performs other duties as assigned.
The incumbent is responsible to manage their performance in accordance with this job description and the performance expectations provided to them by management. If at any time the incumbent is unsure of their role or specific responsibilities, it is the incumbent’s responsibility to refer to their job description and ask for clarification from their supervisor. Management will work with the incumbent, as needed, to ensure performance expectations are clearly communicated and performance goals are achieved.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), supplemented by electronics courses and three years experience repairing and maintaining signal and other electrical traffic equipment;
- Broad knowledge of electronics principles, procedures, methods and materials relative to Traffic Operations;
- Ability to determine causes and solutions to electrical problems in shop or field, conducting corrections with safe working procedures;
- Communication skills conducive to maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers and the public;
- Ability to pass post-offer screen for this position;
- Updated knowledge of electronic test equipment.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. The incumbent must be able to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The incumbent must be able to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid Indiana Driver’s License;
- Valid Indiana Driver’s License/Class B (CDL/B) within 12 months; Incumbent must be 21 years of age or older to hold a CDL with the City of Fort Wayne;
- Recertification for first aid and CPR for electricians required every two years;
- Any one of the following obtained within 1 year of hire plus 3 years experience in the maintenance and installation of signals and/or street lighting:
- Journeyman Electrical License;
- IMSA Level 2 Signal Electrician Certification;
- IMSA Level 2 Lighting Electrician Certification;
- Associate degree in electronics.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee frequently is required to sit and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work takes place in a shop environment and outside in normal weather changes. The employee performs overhead work within contact of other utilities. Emergencies can require on-call duty and work outside in extreme temperatures or other abnormal weather conditions. The work involves regular soiling of clothing or skin, exposure to noise and hazardous situations, especially with high voltage/amperage systems and when working amidst vehicle traffic. The incumbent works under adverse conditions including extremes of temperature, humidity, precipitation and dust. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
|Applications may be submitted on-line at https://www.cityoffortwayne.org/jobs-with-the-city/posting/1698/Traffic%20Operations%20Electrician.html or using the City of Fort Wayne Human Resources Department computer kiosks located at Citizen’s Square, 1st Floor, 200 E. Berry Street, Fort Wayne IN between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. Applicants must be 21 years of age or older to hold a CDL with the City of Fort Wayne. Reasonable accommodations for person with a known disabling condition will be considered in accordance with State and Federal Law. (Those individuals who accept employment with the City and live outside one of the six contiguous Indiana counties that border Allen County (DeKalb, Whitley, Noble, Huntington, Wells, and Adams) will have six (6) months from their start date to become residents of either Allen County or one of the six counties listed above. Policy and Procedure Number 204 Page: 1 of 1)|
Equal Opportunity Employer All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to age, race, color, religion, sex, disability, veteran’s status, national origin, genetic information or sexual orientation. Reasonable accommodations for persons with a known disabling condition will be considered in accordanc
|Job Category||Electrician, Roadway Lighting, Traffic Signal, Traffic Systems|