TRAFFIC SIGNALS COORDINATOR
POSTING NUMBER: 104173
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $81,325.00 – $91,491.00 PER ANNUM
MAXIMUM OF SALARY RANGE: $101,656.00 PER ANNUM
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Reporting to the Traffic Signals Supervisor, this position coordinates all aspects of the Traffic Gignals Group. This position will oversee the day to day operation of the City’s traffic management centre and its centralized advanced traffic management system (ATMS). The Traffic Signals Coordinator will provide direct supervision to Traffic Signals staff on all aspects related to the operation of the City’s ATMS. This position will lead, review and approve new and/or modifications of various ITS asset including Transit Signal Priority/Emergency Vehicle Pre-emption, including the ongoing modernization of the traffic signal system’s communication network. This position ensures traffic signal contracts adhere to Divisional and Corporate service standards and are efficient and effective for the Traffic Signals Group.
- Direction of Staff. Supervises, trains, evaluates, coaches and disciplines staff. Sets priorities and organizes work to meet deadlines and achieve related divisional goals and objectives in alignment with Brampton’s 2040 Vision. Responds to all staff inquiries regarding items of responsibility, particularly regarding work schedules, work assignments and the allocation of staff resources. Participates in the recruitment process. Manages the work plans and staffing requirements for coordinated projects to ensure adequate coverage in the execution of traffic endeavours. Assigns projects to team and external agencies for coordinated traffic initiatives. Resolves conflict and issues within the work schedule arrangements and work direction to ensure cohesiveness within the team. Facilitates the use and deployment of modern project management and time management tools to help staff achieve greater efficiency and productivity. Monitors performance and is responsible for disciplinary measures, as required for the Traffic Signals staff. The Traffic Signals Coordinator will cascade work through a team of senior technologists and will help them develop good project management and leadership skills.
- Collaboration. Fosters relationships with a collaborative approach on City of Brampton, Region of Peel and Hydro One Brampton projects as well as Environmental Assessment Study Reports, contract tenders, design drawings, consultant reviews and construction staging plans. Facilitates the transit signal priority and emergency vehicle pre-emption programs and the centralized advanced traffic management system. Checks for accuracy of design work as prepared by consulting firms. Researches, analyses and generates related reports including developing Standard Operating Procedures for divisional efficiency and establishing standards. Planning Design and Technical Review. Prepare, review and/or receives requests for proposals, tenders and quotations, contract plans, specifications and estimates for tenders. Provides overview to the Traffic Signals Supervisor of ongoing capital projects providing timely status and budget updates. Analyzes and prepares reports and recommendations based on traffic signal studies to Committees, Council, Councillors and the general public. Identifies current and capital budget requirements based on all operational activities.
- Operational Support. Administers and coordinates the work scheduling process for the Traffic Signals Group to ensure efficiency of work activities for the traffic technologists and external contractors. Ensures schedules maintain an adequate staff level for road related projects while adhering to prescribed timelines. Ensures traffic signal designs, installations, and maintenance projects are within budgetary guidelines.
- Post-secondary Degree or Diploma in Transportation Engineering Technology or equivalent.
- Eligible for membership in the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists.
- 5-7 years of experience in traffic signals design, construction and operation.
- Experience supervising or project managing in a unionized environment.
- Experience in the planning, development and implementation of advance traffic management systems
- Experience in Business Process Improvements (BPI) and project management, including research and analysis; previous demonstrated experience in efficiency analysis and change management an asset.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills; experience in budgeting and resource management.
- PC proficiency and experience with traffic signal optimization software such as Synchro and PVT Vissim an asset.
- Working knowledge of applicable legislations, I.e. WSIB, OH&S, Ontario Traffic Manuals, Highway Traffic Act an asset.
- IMSA Signals Level 1, 2 and 3 certifications would be an asset.
- Previous experience in the planning and development of ITS Strategic Plans would be an asset
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
|Job status: Permanent Job Type: Management and Administration Applications must be received by: June 4, 2021 Alternate formats will be provided upon request.|
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online here. quoting reference #104173 by June 4, 2021 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact TalentAcquisition@brampton.ca or 905.874-2150 with your accommodation needs, quoting the job opening ID#, job title. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
|Job Category||Engineering, Traffic Signal|