|SALARY: $118,999.00 – $178,499.00 Annually|
|OPENING DATE: 09/24/21|
|CLOSING DATE: Continuous|
|Plans and directs activities and staff of the Transportation department. Directs the development and implementation of organizational strategy to drive performance improvement for the benefit of residents, businesses and employees.|
We are prepared to offer a generous starting salary and other benefits, as well as relocation expenses and cell phone stipend for the perfect candidate!
Stated pay range is pending City Council Approval on October 12. To apply, go to: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/glendaleaz/jobs/3246933/transportation-director?page=3&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
|1. Plans, organizes and directs the activities and staff of the Transportation department including the following divisions: Airport, Traffic Engineering & Operations, Transit, and Transportation Planning & Safety Education. |
2. Establishes departmental policies, procedures and guidelines, and coordinates activities of the department with other City departments.
3. Prepares and monitors department budget in accordance with program goals and objectives.
4. Directs professional staff studies and investigations of citizen complaints; reviews findings; determines the need for signals, signs, markings, school crossings, street lighting and other traffic control devices.
5. Oversees an extensive pavement management program, including an arterial reconstruct component.
6. Directs studies to determine traffic volumes and capacities and establish timing for individual intersections and system timing relationships.
7. Reviews subdivision plans, development site plans and street construction plans for conformance to traffic engineering standards.
8. Represents the interests of the City of Glendale in dealings with the Arizona Department of Transportation, the City of Phoenix and the Maricopa Association of Governments regarding traffic and transportation issues.
9. Prepares and makes presentations to City Council, the Planning and Zoning Commission and other boards on traffic issues and projects.
10. Reviews standards and specifications and authorizes the purchase of specialized lighting equipment and supplies.
11. Conducts research and analysis, reviews data, develops recommendations and prepares reports as needed.
12. Serves on various City committees.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
|MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS/SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS/SUCCESS FACTORS:|
|Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Transportation Planning or a transportation related field, and five years of progressively responsible experience in transportation that includes two years of supervisory experience. Registration as a Professional Engineer in Arizona is desirable. Knowledge of: Theory, principles and practices of traffic engineering, transportation planning, transit operations, and pavement management Airport operations and management (desirable) Statistical and research procedures as applied to traffic related problems Traffic laws and regulations and standards and specifications for traffic control equipment Public budgeting policies, procedures, and techniques Principles and practices of management and public administration|
Ability to: Plan, organize, assign and supervise the work of professional, technical and field staff Review survey data, traffic statistics and related information, analyze findings, prepare recommendations and reports Develop comprehensive plans and reports to satisfy future needs Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing Establish effective working relationships with subordinates, superiors, and representatives from other departments in private and in public to coordinate activities and resolve problems Any equivalent combination of training, experience, and education that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, is qualifying.
An Arizona driver’s license
Success Factor Classification Level – Executive
Success Factors Definitions Classification Levels Personal Accountability & Integrity Takes personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work and in complying with organizational rules, policies and procedures. Earns others’ trust and respect through consistent honesty and professionalism. Foundational, Professional/Supervisory, Managerial, Executives Teambuilding & Collaborative Relationships Inspires and fosters team commitment, spirit, pride and trust; develops cooperative working relationships with others. Foundational, Professional/Supervisory, Managerial, Executives Effective Communication Conveys information respectfully, credibly, and effectively. Foundational, Professional/Supervisory, Managerial, Executives Continuous Learning & Development Assesses and recognizes own strengths and weaknesses; takes initiative in pursuing self-development and learning to expand skills and increase knowledge. Foundational, Professional/Supervisory, Managerial, Executives Commitment to Service Excellence Strives to excel in meeting the needs of both internal and external customers in a fair and equitable manner. Delivers high-quality services with a commitment to continuous improvement. Foundational, Professional/Supervisory, Managerial, Executives Innovation Applies original thinking in approach to job responsibilities and to improve processes, methods, systems or services. Foundational, Professional/Supervisory, Managerial, Executives Leadership Promotes organizational mission and goals and encourages cooperation in support of organizational goals. Professional/Supervisory, Managerial, Executive Organizational Awareness Identifies fundamental values and beliefs to guide the organization into the future. Uses knowledge of the workings, structure and culture of the organization and political climate to solve problems and accomplish goals. Professional/Supervisory, Managerial, Executive
|PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:|
|Job Category||Engineering, Traffic Systems, Transportation Center|