About the Position: As a Traffic Signal Technician, you will perform a variety of electronic repairs and maintenance on traffic control units and equipment including traffic controllers, vehicle detectors and traffic signal control computers. You will maintain, repair, modify and install traffic signals, street lights, electronic systems and related apparatus; and perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned areas of responsibility.
About Our Traffic Operations Division: The traffic operations division is responsible for installing pavement markings and striping the City of Grand Junction roadways. We also fabricate, install, and maintain all signs within City limits. Members of our team are self-starters with a positive attitude and a dedicated work ethic. If this sounds like you, consider joining us for this opportunity to work outdoors and contribute to the safety of our community.
What We Offer: We know that a healthy and happy workforce is a thriving workforce, which is why we offer a comprehensive benefits package that supports quality work-life balance including 32 days of paid annual leave to be used for holiday, personal, and/or sick days, health insurance options, employer-matched retirement, a City employee health clinic, wellness program, and an Employee Assistance Program. Of equal importance, we offer an opportunity to serve the community you love and live in. Our employees find their work rewarding and fulfilling, knowing that their day job makes a positive impact.
About Our Culture:
At the City of Grand Junction, we lead the way with continuous improvement, collaborative partnerships, and exemplary service. Our core values are demonstrated by our willingness to challenge the status quo, ability to work together using all areas of expertise to achieve a common goal, and commitment to fulfilling the needs of our community through thoughtful interactions. We welcome new employees who share and embody our Core Values.
What You’ll Do:
- Perform a variety of electronic repairs and maintenance on traffic control units and equipment including traffic controllers, vehicle detectors and traffic signal control computers.
- Install, maintain, inspect and repair traffic signal equipment of proper operation; perform preventive maintenance on assigned systems.
- Repair traffic signals and City street lights by replacing bulbs, wiring, fuses, circuit breakers, ballasts and signal head parts.
- Install and maintain overhead and underground traffic signal communication cabling; pull wires and make electrical connections required to tie in wiring, signals, and vehicle detectors and control cabinets.
- Repair and install pedestrian fixtures, traffic signal fixtures, optically programmable fixtures, and inductive vehicle loop detectors at intersections.
- Direct and control the flow of traffic during repairs, installation, or modification of traffic signals.
- Operate a variety of electronic repair and equipment including volt meter, frequency counter, specialized test equipment , boom truck, dump truck, and crane truck.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of traffic signal plans, schematics and signal timing specifications; update records as maintenance is performed.
- Respond to regular and emergency calls for service as appropriate; assist sign crew as needed.
To view the full job description, click here.
What We’re Looking For:
- Three (3) years of increasingly responsible traffic signal maintenance or electronic experience.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. supplemented by college level course work in electronics, fiber optics, or a related field.
License or Certificate
- Possession of a valid Colorado Commercial Class A driver’s license.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, appropriate valid certifications from IMSA (International Municipal Signal Association).
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid ATSSA (American Traffic Safety Services Association) Worksite Supervisor certification.
Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.Supplemental Information
Explore Our Area: Grand Junction, Colorado is the gateway to the mountains and canyonlands of western Colorado and eastern Utah. Centrally located between Denver, CO (250 miles east) and Salt Lake City, UT (270 miles west), Grand Junction is surrounded by 1.2 million acres of public land. Residents enjoy world-class whitewater rafting on the Colorado and Green Rivers, golfing, fishing, skiing and snowboarding, and exploring mountain bike and hiking trails through the Colorado National Monument and the Grand Mesa National Forest. Grand Junction has a robust downtown and hosts multiple art, music, food, and market events annually. With a population of over 150,000 in Mesa County (65,000 within the City limits) we have many of the big town amenities without the big town stresses such as traffic and trail congestion. With an average of 245 days of sunshine, Grand Junction is the perfect place to work and play. Check out Visit Grand Junction for videos and information about our community.
|Job Category||Electrician, Traffic Signal|